On the water Experience aboard brigantine Matthew Turner
Select Saturdays 8 AM-Noon, for young women ages 12-24.
$125 per person. Scholarships are available
Students learn in an inclusive, healthy outdoor environment
- hands on sailing and Seamanship skills
- how science and physics problems apply to sailing
- the challenges of sailing as part of a crew
Seamanship – The art, skill of handling, working and navigating a ship.
Duration: 4-hours (Subject matter divided into +- 30 minute rotating stations.)
- Steering the vessel – piloting the vessel
- Raising, lowering and stowing sails as required
- Line handling and use of winches; belaying pins and pulleys as applicable
- Sail terminology, sail theory and stability explained
- Understanding currents and tides within the Bay
- True and apparent wind differences and explanation
Thank you SO MUCH for offering this event. My daughter was absolutely euphoric when we picked her up! She jabbered nonstop on the way home about all the things she had done/learned (climbing 70 feet up the mast was a highlight) and she immediately asked if she could go again next Saturday.I would say the morning was a success! Again, thanks for getting our kiddos out on the water, especially during these crazy times. Amazing experiences in nature was just what my daughter needed.