Call of the Sea Youth Voyage Overview
Call of the Sea voyages are overnight programs in which participants ages 12-17 experience nature and build self-confidence through the adventure of sailing a tall ship. Participants work to form a cohesive team to keep watch, sail the ship, and engage in an interdisciplinary curriculum focused on the bay and coastal maritime environment.
- Physical oceanography including tides, currents, waves, depth and temperature measurements
- Meteorology including global and local wind patterns and fog
- Bay and coastal marine science including local organisms, water chemistry, and bottom sampling
- Navigational exercises, finding position by triangulation, dead reckoning (speed-time-distance), plotting current effects by vectors, and introduction to GPS
- Sail training along with sailors’ arts, maritime literature, and other relevant topics